Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Minor demolition works

Last weekend was sunny and warm, and provided a great opportunity for Darren to start poking around the house. He has been absolutely itching to start pulling things down, and was in his element covered in dust! The little house underwent the first of many surgeries, with the walls between the current dining, kitchen and store room removed. Work came to an abrupt halt though when we discovered asbestos behind the cabinetry in the kitchen. We were expecting it but it is still quite scary to see the nasty stuff up close. We'll be removing it safely soon.

Some would say I am a fanatic about clean floors (and they would be right!), and I couldn't resist sweeping out some of the bedrooms on the weekend. I doubt I made much difference, and to be honest with all the demolition and sanding to come it was probably a futile exercise, but I have never been so pleased to be cleaning! I was thinking all the while I was sweeping of how many more times I will do this over the next few years, probably not quite as happily as this first time.

We also marked out the parameters of the garage and extension to the back of the house, including the decks. (When I say "we", you do know I mean "Darren" right?). We have the concreter coming tomorrow to pour the slab, which is very exciting! The next step will be the extension and decks, and once this is complete the roof will go on. Can't wait for that.

In the meantime, here are some progress photos of the last couple of weekends. Isn't it amazing what a set of (even temporary) stairs does to make a house feel more solid?

x M

PS The weatherman claims we are in for flooding rains this weekend, surely he jests? Just in case, please get your sundance on for us friends!

 The temporary staircase

 The proud stairmen


 Sitting and dreaming ...

 Faint pink lines depicting the location of the future garage

 Store-room and dining room prior to Darren's handiwork


Ta da!

4 comments:

  1. How so exciting for you all.I so wish I had a handy man I do have a fisherman if you want fish lol.
    Hope it doesnt really rain half my lot are heading north for a fishing comp and camping it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to seeing your home come together. I completely understand the need to sweep, I did the same amongst our mess too. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing some progress shots. Keep up with the sweeping, it's good to feel you are making your mark. The view of trees from all your windows is so beautiful. melx

    ReplyDelete
  4. I meant to comment last visit, but it wasn't working for me. Love how your home is positioned on your block and I am loving your progress reports. Don't let that fellow have too much fun or he might want to do it all over again!

    ReplyDelete