Sunday, April 10, 2011

Keep Calm and Renovate On ...

I had a very strange reaction to the house arriving on site last week. For months now I have been focussing on the arrival of the house and how exciting it would be. I've daydreamed of the final product and know the colours we will paint it, and even where the furniture will be placed and the artwork will hang!

When it happened though, I honestly felt completely overwhelmed by the enormity of the task ahead. I was fully prepared for a little anxiety, but the total trepidation and doubt took me by surprise. The reality of such a run-down old home on our block made my visions of furnishing the house seem premature at best, and ridiculous at worst!

We have had many people tell us we are crazy for doing this, including the neighbours who I am sure we are going to have to invite over for many afternoon teas before they will be comfortable with the idea! (Luckily I have perfected my home-baked scones lately). But even with all the doubt from other people we have stayed strong in our conviction ... we have always wanted to do this.

I wonder whether other people experience a similar fear when faced with their dreams becoming reality?

Thankfully all it took to shake me out of it was an impromptu party on site (in the rain and mud) with some amazing and supportive friends .. and hey presto, I am back to feeling excited and planning the window dressings (curtains? blinds?)! A husband who is bursting to start work and is so confident that we are doing the right thing goes a long way to helping me relax about it too ... which is good, considering he will be the one strapped to the tools for the next few months!

For now I will keep breathing, stay calm, and focus on the end result ... in the words of my husband "Let's just enjoy this!".

x M

2 comments: