Monday, May 2, 2011

Skylights and Water Features



So we had an eventful afternoon at the block yesterday. Not only was the sunshine beaming down on our little house, but we also managed to instal a skylight and a bunch of water features to boot! A bit premature you ask? Well yes, but you see these weren't PLANNED features ...

Despite the fact that hubby is a qualified and exprienced tradesman, I wouldn't recommend his technique for skylight installation - he literally fell through the roof of the front verandah and by some incredible Spiderman-esque acrobatics managed to land on his feet with little more than a scratch on his leg! So as you can see in the picture below, we now have a "skylight" on the front verandah (never mind the fact that he didn't even discuss it with me beforehand!). Needless to say, this won't be a permanent fixture. For the record, I don't think I earned myself any wife brownie points during this episode - my friend and I screamed and covered our eyes. Extremely helpful. Thankfully hubby is fine, shook the whole thing off as men do. Actually I think he quite enjoyed it.

 The boys on the roof just before the incident ...


 The resulting skylight - adds quite a bit of light to the entry!



See? Rapunzel is fine!


As for the water features, hubby and a friend decided to tighten the tarps covering our roof as water was pooling in them. The boys thought it was hilarious to see waterfalls pouring off the roof! I was amazed by the amount of water that had collected up there over the last couple of weeks. The roof can't go on quickly enough for my liking now!


The boys had a little friend come and play in the mud with them. They had a ball ... although Oliver did take an accidental mud bath (and his mummy took photos instead of cuddling him!). All in all it was quite a nice afternoon - big boys playing on the roof, little boys playing in the mud, and the mums wishing we'd brought a bottle of wine and some chairs!

 Cheeky mud grubs!

Poor little man, he hates being dirty!

x M

5 comments:

  1. Hmmm, blokes are just well big boys aren't they! So lucky he didn't injure himself. Bet you breathed a sigh of relief as a broken leg would suck on day 1 of the job.
    Little boys and mud, well say no more really. I bet this whole building stage will be the highlight for them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As he was hanging upside down from the roof I had a vision of him being in traction and the house never being finished ... Relieved isn't the word! The boys are loving the process so far. How do your children like the renovation process?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well the renovation progress is extremely slow going at our place but any gardening the kids and chooks are straight in. My son wants to paint the house rainbow, but does like the new white. He also totally is in agreement about removing a wall to make a bigger kitchen. He has drawn me new floor plans including furniture! Melx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I found your blog thru Bungalow girls blog and have been reading with envy lol you ar eopding what I have always wanted to do but with more land and in Sunnie coast which is where me and daughter would love to move.I shall keep reading to see how it all comes out.I dont think you are silly I think you are doing a wonderful thing saving this home and I lopve the fact you ar etrying to find out about its history of owners (its what I do with thins I buy when I can) I hope yopu find out more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Nelly, great to hear you are following our story! Hopefully I will have more to share soon about the history of the house :) x M

    ReplyDelete