Sunday, March 20, 2011

What's in a name?

While I'm trying to ignore the fact that it will be another 3 weeks (at least) before our house can be moved to the block, I have been thinking that it needs a name.

I keep referring to it as "our little house", but I think it deserves something more dignified! It is sometimes called "the shack", and on days when I despair of it ever being ready for us to live in I have been known to refer to it as "the hypothetical". None of which would look great on a plaque outside the front door!

So we have been tossing around ideas for naming our little casa. Should we call it "Creed Cottage"? Bit naff though, and decidedly unoriginal to use our surname. Should we try and include the name of the street where it was originally built - "Welsby House"? Sounds a bit too grand for the likes of us. Hubby likes the idea of using the letters of our names to create something ... D M A O ... DAMO? MADO? OMAD? ADOM? I think not.

So for now I am stumped (which is more than I can say for our house, if you'll pardon the pun!). Will keep thinking, and we are open to suggestions from the blog world of course.

x M

3 comments:

  1. How about playing around with your first names? My friends used to live in a house named after the people who built it. You could do something like Meldar House, Darissa House, Darmel House. Or leave off "house" and just give it a name. How about naming it after some native species on your land, or what about something to do with where you were when you bought it (somewhere in Ireland, was it?) a bit like the Beckhams calling their boy Brooklyn because that's where he was conceived or a lady I know calling her son Kingston because that's where he was born.

    Some ideas for you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this template by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lins - great ideas! We did actually think about calling it something Irish - we were in Cork when we discovered the house. I think we're going to go with "Welsby" though (no "house) as this is the street where it was originally built. I think it should have a link back to it's history. x M

    ReplyDelete