Monday, February 28, 2011

Researching the history of our house

I love that our little house has a past, a history of previous owners who built it, lived in it, extended it, and loved it before it found its way to us. Who were these people? How much did the house cost to build (I bet it was something ridiculous like 25pounds!)? Did they raise their family in the home? Was the house flooded in the 1974 floods? So many questions and I am really curious to find out more.

I know how to go about the research, with the Department of Land and Resources, local historical societies, State Library records etc, but to begin with we need to know the exact address of the property before it was moved. We know the suburb (New Farm - we could discover an "interesting" history!) and street name, but not the number. You would think that the removal company would have records of this, no? I mean, someone had to go to the street in New Farm and put the house on the back of a truck! Not the sort of situation in which you would want to get the address wrong.

I am hoping they will get back to me with the address soon, so I can go off on my magical research journey and with luck discover some interesting things along the way. I have seen other bloggers research turn up old photographs of previous owners and even their pets - how fantastic would that be!

The house is in quite a state of disrepair at the moment, and from what I understand was being considered for demolition - how could they?? I'm so glad we have saved it from this fate, and will be able to add to its history with a whole new family to fill it with love and laughter.

x M

No comments:

Post a Comment